Pages

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Not in my name

And not in defence of democracy either. I've been opposed to Saddam's regime all my adult life. Our campaigns against the vile men who led the regime should not reduce us to this:

Witnesses said Barzan and al-Bandar were shaking with fear as they approached the gallows. One of those present, public prosecutor Jaafar al-Moussawi, told the BBC that when the trap door opened, he could only see Barzan's rope dangling.

"I thought the convict Barzan Ibrahim al-Tikriti had escaped the noose. I shouted that he's escaped the noose, go down and look for him. I went down a few steps ahead of the others to see: I found out that his head had separated from his body."


See: Amnesty International campaign against the death penalty

No comments:

Post a Comment