Pages

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Reading Billy Collins in search of inspiration


The infuriating former Poet Laureate of America

I suppose if I could write like Billy Collins,
Poet Laureate of the United States
of America
and a Professor of English Literature
(all of which need their capital letters)

I suppose I'd worry more than Billy Collins
about the lack of worth of these few lines
of poetry
and maybe mind the way they neither rhyme
nor scan as one might hope or fear.

But none of us can be like Billy Collins
as we try to read or write or speak
of imagery
and of ideas we thought to capture or profess
in such, not wholly vain, attempts as these.

But the truth is simply this; that Billy Collins,
poet laureate, American professor
of English
and a guiding light in my creative darkness,
is one of a kind: as all of us must strive to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment