Pages

Friday, March 07, 2008

Arabella

A night at the Opera with Spike. Delightful singing, especially by Cheryl Barker as Arabella. When she sang "I will give myself to you, for eternity" there could not have been a dry eye in the house. I would have wept like a baby myself but I am, as we know, a Scottish Presbyterian and we FROWN on such lack of control. Bob Carr, former Premier of NSW, came across at the interval for a chat about the singing, his new book and our association (brief) with Christopher Reeve.

The lights around the harbour, reflecting off the water and the wet pavements on the stroll back to the van, gave the whole area a magical appearance. The distant lightening, devoid of any sound of thunder, added something indescribable by me although Spike invented a word for the effect: tremulations. Works for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment