Pages

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Necessary noise ... part 8

Life’s a bit weird. I used to be someone who slept late and had to be dragged kicking and screaming out of bed. Yesterday, I got out of bed at fourish. This morning it was three twenty-seven when I looked at my phone clock then thought, “fuck it – no point in wasting time here.”

Yesterday morning was marvellous. I put my friend Spike’s Tallis Scholars CD on to play as dawn came up. There were no early morning trains, no traffic humming somewhere in the mid-distance, very few birds. There was just me and the emerging light and the voices singing Media Vita for 6 voices, its transcendent sound filling the flat, doing something to me that I don’t understand but, when you’re wise enough, you simply accept for what it is.

Today, the dawn is still an hour or more away. But the music is with me to help me start a day on which my entire world looks completely different. Without any warning.

One moment you allow yourself to believe that all one's hopes can indeed be realised. Next minute you know that’s not how the world really is. Up or down the music remains transcendent. Today it does something different to me that I understand no more than I did yesterday. I simply pray (although I am not a man who believes in the power of prayer) that I am and will be wise enough to accept it for what it is.

I looked for Media Vita for 6 voices on the web but couldn’t find it. Palestrina will have to suffice.

No comments:

Post a Comment