Pages

Sunday, September 06, 2009

More then mildly irritated man ...

... discovers why those who do have been raving about the television series Mad Men. I didn't drive Spike to Dooralong for father's day because the damn chain broke yesterday. Do I think there's a link ... no pun intended ... to the six weeks and work done in Revesby? Well, is the Pope a Catholic and do bears shit in the woods?

Seriously pissed off, by myself and much in need of distraction I turned to the web for diverting entertainment. After reading the UK Sunday newspapers, listening to Just A Minute and Mark Kermode's movie reviews on BBC Radio I finally caught Mad Men. I'm hooked. It's brilliant. The bravado of the writing is awe-inspiring. It's like watching a Richard Yates character step out of one of his short stories. At times it's hard to believe the world was like that but I can accept that it was ... the search for a company Jew, the silence of black characters in this white-man's world, the advertising men with their views of women (like a dog with a typewriter!!), the vulnerability of the probably gay character. I've seen four episodes now. I hope it stays away from soap opera. Brilliant television.
.

1 comment:

  1. Josephine Spanner7:43 pm

    indeed it is. never imagined I'd give a damn about such people but there you go. Likewsie the Sons of Anarchy. Check that out since you're into literatuture, watch for the hamlet bits. The best new TV series like this are leaving cinema for dead these days, I think. Similar satisfaction to a good long novel in the vein of Anna K and Moby D. etc

    ReplyDelete