Pages

Thursday, November 27, 2014

Transformers 4 - Is it the most obnoxious movie ever made?

I should have known better.  What could I have been thinking?  What more might I have expected?

I made the mistake of downloading Transformers 4, now that it's available for rent.  In my defence I could say that I was led astray. There were signs (before watching it) that ... at worst ... it might be no worse than its predecessors or ... at best ... it might have picked up a bit, given some of the names associated with this monster of bad ideas.  It has Steven Spielberg as an Executive Producer.  It has some very fine character actors from television and film - Stanley Tucci, Kelsey Grammar, Titus Welliver, John Goodman and Ken Watanabe (doing voices).  But no.

I missed Mark Kermode's review when it was broadcast.  That would have warned me.  We were in Brazil at the time, a week away from the 2014 FIFA World Cup Final so that's my excuse.  But I should have known better just the same.  Dr Kermode correctly calls it "as repugnant as Transformers 2" and the series an "ongoing, awful lingerie and beer advert [which] will carry on forever."  I fear the good doctor is correct.

I would tell those who have not seen it to never see it, to avoid it like the plague.  I feel unclean after viewing its unremittingly awful 166 minutes.  But I'm on the wrong side of commerce.  According to Wiki, which I have no reason to doubt here, the movie has taken over $1 Billion already.  That number will just get bigger as downloads, rentals and DVD sales kick in.  What a depressing thought.

Promise yourself one thing Douglas.  Nothing will entice you to see Transformers 5.  Nothing.