Pages

Tuesday, April 07, 2015

Only in The Guardian

A headline in yesterday's Guardian caught my attention ... as it understandably might.

Uncovering the face value of beards


Written by Fanny Arlandis, the piece, which you can read here, began with this paragraph:

A beard has both social and political meanings. “A powerful distinguishing mark, the appearance of facial hair plays a key role in the process of asserting or stigmatising identity,” says ethnologist Christian Bromberger. “Being hairless and clean-shaven, or not, is far from neutral,” says Stéphane Héas, a sociologist at Rennes 2 University. “One’s appearance impacts directly on the way others judge us.”

I was tickled, read on then - a bit tongue in cheek - left the following comment below the line:

Scottish man with beard
Forty years of me having a beard may be explained by this ...

“The patriarchal, male-dominant nature of western society in the 19th and 20th century almost certainly explains the appeal of sophisticated beards and moustaches,” Héas says. “Policymakers made their presence felt through their discourse and facial hair.”

Or ...

I do not like shaving.

Answers on a postacard to ... any French deconstructionist you may still be able to find anywhere on the planet. No ... seriously ... I'm quite fond of Derrida, love Barthes; really. But guys. It's a beard.

After a good night's sleep I awoke (on what was still 6 April in the northern hemisphere) to discover over my breakfast reading of The Guardian that my smart-arse comment had provoked a response, seemingly less tongue in cheek than my own from a fellow Guardianista, one Andrew the Gaunt, who wrote as follows:

I think you missed the point. Sociology does not care about individual cases, but is concerned about trends. Why did men all shave during the 18e century, but not at all during the 19? Why was it reserved to marginalised groups in the 60s and now is popular amon the youngs? You can hardly argue that it's mere coincidence, suddenly people hate shaving, and yet all like it back in the same time.

Sociology tries to explain this, why do we behave the way we do and what led us into behaving that way...

I could not resist a further riposte, I'm afraid, which I posted today. 

I'm reasonably sure I didn't miss the point, Andrew. 

I am not as sure, however, that what may or may not be a sociological trend warrants this article in the Guardian at this time because there are already very strong indicators that the most recent trend for facial hair peaked some time ago and in our Capitalist, post-industrial societies the resurgence of the clean-shaven metrosexual, now setting up porridge cafes, social media consultancy services and home-delivered vegan frozen dinners, is already apparent. The beard thing is already a bit like Hush Puppy slip-on shoes. SO last cultural wave.

As for an old geezer like me ... I'm keeping the beard because someone has to hold on to pre-Capitalist fundamental principles. Don't shave. It only accelerates the commodification of one's double chin.

You see, I thought I was simply having a laugh.  Clearly I made a mistake.  

Are sociologists entirely bereft of humour?