Pages

Friday, September 24, 2004

The Terminal

I thought it was rather sweet (in a pleasant way) and fun for the most part. It fell apart for me as soon as Victor stepped outside the hermetically sealed world with which he's forced to negotiate: the terminal. CZJ is as gorgeous as ever but her part seemed regrettably slight for the good actor that she is. Victor is nothing like that ghastly Gump creation, which was just plain, old-fashioned insulting to intelligence. I thought TH gave us a finely nuanced comic turn. With a stronger script it could have been up there with his best comedy work but it didn't quite hit the spot. I’m afraid I wasn’t at all persuaded by Stanley Tucci’s Dixon. He can phone-in such characters, he’s so good at them, but his reasons for being the bastard of the piece are far from convincing. I did like the three stooges: Gupta's juggling drew spontaneous applause from the crowd in which we sat, all of whom seemed to go home with smiles on their faces. Looking for anything more profound than that effect seems to me to be asking too much of a vehicle like this.
. 

No comments:

Post a Comment