Pages

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

One wonders

One wonders, sometimes, if there is a point to the public service. How does anything ever get achieved? Slowly, would seem to be the answer.

After lunch (with Sharon and Liana) I returned to my desk, wondering how the rest of my day might be filled as we all tread water waiting for the outcome of the disciplinary investigation (now in it's eleventh week ... hard to believe, I know). So, the manager acting up for my temporary manager, who is on leave, approaches my desk with some documents I completed two weeks ago. I've taken these home with me four or five times, she tells me. The unspoken part of that sentence continues ... and not read them until this morning. I've suggested some changes and there seems to be something a bit odd about one of the documents, she goes on to say. I'm underwhelmed.
The changes require me to alter "EO" to "Executive Officer" and "RD" to Regional Director". The oddness about the second document is that the type face is Century Gothic rather than Ariel, so I change the font. It took two weeks for those key matters to be brought to my attention. Only now, it seems, can the submission go up the line through an Executive Director and maybe a Deputy Director General to the DG. Dare one say that one feels less than highly valued at work?

I'm taking the next couple of days off. At least that way I won't embarrass them by being there with nothing to do but wait for them to read documents prepared weeks before.

..

No comments:

Post a Comment