Pages

Monday, November 08, 2010

Nadine Gordimer: look and learn

It ought to be as simple as this: one word leading to another, one word following the word before it.  But it’s not that simple and very far from easy.

Photograph: Martin Argles for the Guardian
I read an article today that puts my angst, uncertainty and lack of progress into proper perspective.  The Guardian interviewed Nadine Gordimer here.  She’s 87 years old, has written (perhaps I mean has been published) for close to 60 years.  The New Yorker first published one of her short stories in 1951.  That’s six years before I was born.

Nadine Gordimer writes for four hours every morning.  Maybe there’s a lesson there Douglas.  It’s the same as always: ditch the ego; just write.  Make sure you do it every day

I know this, of course.  I’ve known it since I can’t remember when.  But I lack the discipline required.  I’ve never acquired it.  I’m too lazy to dig myself out the hole into which I plunged a very long time ago.

So here’s another beginning, another re-commitment.  Don’t I get tired of them?  Well yes, of course I do.  So what is it makes me keep coming back I wonder?  I may be delusional.  Vanity certainly has a part to play.  And an ego the size of Belgium; there’s always that.

But I do keep coming back.  
.

No comments:

Post a Comment