Pages

Monday, April 04, 2011

Alfred Hitchcock's Rope

I've just finished watching Hitchcock's Rope for a seminar at university tomorrow.  From the minute it started until the last ridiculous shot I was willing any of the film's characters to step out of the screen and strangle ME with their rope. I HATED EVERY BIT OF IT.

It's clunky, shockingly badly scripted, hectoring, sanctimonious, misanthropic, self-serving awfulness.  James Stewart couldn't be more miss-cast.  Cedric Hardwicke clearly can't wait to get off the set.  The young male actors are barely competent. And, perhaps the greatest tragedy, a great movie-maker gives us the most un-filmic movie you can imagine.  Worse still you can see the joins and the making.

I hope my tutor has a good explanation as to why it's in my life, on my course, taking up valuable study time. Aaaaarrrrggghh!
.

No comments:

Post a Comment