Pages

Monday, June 06, 2011

Oh Magnificent Seven

Is it true? Do we all want to be cowboys
riding as one of the magnificent?

Seven years old and surrounded by toys
we built improbable futures, spent
too much time, too little effort
and insufficient energy on hopeless
schemes of the make-believe sort
we never thought led up life's endless
path of dreams or sped away from
one lost chance to any interrupted
opportunity to add a little to the sum
of ill-conceived imaginings, disrupted

by the world in which our real lives lurk;
dad says: bed straight after homework.

Listening to Desert Island Discs again.  Alfie Boe's third selection was the theme tune from the Magnificent Seven.  I was at least ten when I saw the movie but I have to practise my craft (I can call it poetic licence).  Clearly, a man clutching at straws will find inspiration anywhere he can.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment