Pages

Friday, March 27, 2015

My Old Lady

I rented the movie My Old Lady from iTunes because it has Kevin Kline, Dame Maggie Smith and the immeasurably talented Kristen Scott Thomas. And it's set in Paris.  So what could go wrong?  Well nothing really but it left me thinking, "ho hum".  Spike gave up after half an hour or so; bored I think.

Paris was, of course, sparkling.  As Kevin Kline wandered around Le Marais, sang opera with a total stranger on the banks of La Seine and crossed Pont des Arts I just wanted to jump on the Internet to book a flight. One way.  The three principals gave us solid performances, good performances but I'm not sure the story warranted a movie.  It was written and directed by Israel Horovitz, an American playwright and author.  It shows its stagey origins.  No doubt it would stand up well as a Broadway three-hander but I'm afraid I found it's whimsical melancholia all a bit too tedious.