Pages

Saturday, March 21, 2015

Reading The Observer's 100 Best Novels

Two books arrived today - Neil Gaiman's new collection of short stories, Trigger Warning: Short Fictions & Disturbances and an edition of The Pilgrim's Progress, parts I & II with the original illustrations.  I'm very pleased to receive the latter.  Neil Gaiman's book is for Spike.  I may read it sometime.  Or not.

I've decided to read all the novels on Robert McCrum's list of the 100 best novels ever written in Engish.  Such lists are, of course, arbitrary; a fact readily acknowled by Robert McC in his introduction to the series here.  That's neither here nor there, IMHO.  We all compile lists - favourite this, most disliked that, the tedious 'bucket list' and many more besides.  We pick and choose.  

Each week I read the article introducing The Observer team's pick of that week.  This week in a list that's ordered chronologically we've reached book number 78, To Kill A Mockingbird.  I've read 25 of the list announced so far which strikes me as pretty poor form; about one-third.  So I've decided to read or re-read the entire list in the chronological order it has been suggested to us.  Hence the arrival of the Bunyan, which I read a very long time ago - as an early teenager - perhaps in an abridged format.  I have a vague recollection of a children's version which, I speculate, my parents would have thought educational and improving for a child of still tender years (I may have been ten or eleven, so not even a teenager).

I flicked through the pages of the edition I received today (I remain surprised that anyone makes deliveries on a Saturday but I'll stop talking about that rather dim-witted surprise some day soon).  The illustrations are familiar.  They must have been in the children's version I read maybe 45 or more years ago.  And when I read the first paragraph (before setting down the book to return to reading the Guardian online over breakfast) I had an unmistakable and strong sense of having been there before, inside Christian's head, hearing his voice speak to me 300 years after the author set them down on paper.  I guess it's that sort of literary power that makes any writing a candidate for appearing on lists.  We'll see as I read it.