Pages

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Steve Bell in today's Guardian

Even though he's an old Trot, I really enjoy Steve Bell's cartoons in The Guardian (most of the time) but I hate the cynicism he displays in today's paper. It bothered me enough to post the comment below on the newspaper's web site.

Mr Angry writes from Ashfield ...

I've been a fan of Steve's for as long as I can remember. I don't always agree with the message he sends but even the stuff I hate usually makes me grin. This, however, is simply a cheap shot; misrepresenting the manner, style and content of what the man said. Barak Obama is, indeed, a mainstream politician and he may well be hauled into and fully embrace the traditional role of chief spokesperson for the hegemonic force of our age. After all, he did put up his hand and asked to be President of the USA so it's not like he's pretending to be Che. But he's not leader of the parade Steve draws him as. At worst, right now he may be more like Don Quixote tilting at windmills. At best, however, he may put an end to the worst of the Bush era madness, opening up spaces in which the rest of us might see, once again, new opportunities to shake the tree.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment