Pages

Saturday, January 02, 2010

Olafur Eliasson at the MCA


I'm not quite sure what I made of this show at the Museum of Contemporary Art. I felt a little underwhelmed to be honest.  I expexcted, maybe wanted more.  The artist is obviously very bright but the works lacked soul (it seemed to me).  Maybe that's what Nordic / Icelandic minimalism does for you.  It's bare, spare, full of light and large, sometimes oddly shaped objects.  I'm not sure it had heart though.  The colour tunnel was beautiful and the lego table simply wonderful (mostly because of the way it drew people to make amazing, weird shapes out of thousand of white plastic bricks).  But the show didn't move me much or engage me hugely.  Maybe I need to go back after I've read more about the artist's intentions.

For me, the best work is one called Beauty: light shining on a misty shower descending from the ceiling to recreate the Aurora Borealis.  Wonderful.  It's housed in a pitch black room.  Spike stepped back from the wall of light in water, took three paces then slammed into the end of the gallery saying ... and there's the wall.  Forgive me, I laughed.

No comments:

Post a Comment