Pages

Saturday, January 09, 2010

Alien

It may be true, as Ridley Scott's advert for the movie observed, in space no one can hear you scream.  Fortunately,  for those of us not crewing the Nostromo, there is blogging.  Here is one example.  And with an immeasurably larger readership, one of my favourite spaces ... The Guardian.


I read the first Guardian blog of 2010 by A L Kennedy here today.  I posted the following response after another reader wrote that one can write for onself to help stay sane.  I accept that.  I believe, however, that whenever one hits send or posts a text or proposal to an agent, editor or publisher it's clear the ego has an audience in mind.  I know I do.

I realise it may be true that one can writes for oneself. Gerard Manley Hopkins could be an example I suppose, although even he thought he was writing for / to an audience. The fact that he believed that audience was God doesn't necessary imply insanity. Aiming high maybe bu not categorically nuts. 

 Sadly, those of us of a somewhat more pedestrian disposition end up writing for ourselves largely because a cruel and heartless world inists that the texts be of publishabe quality (Lord Archer excepted to prove the rule). Still, in one's more poetic moments it's helpful to remember that even TSE was read by his mate Ezra first. And wouldn't it be destiny calling if the effluent re-cycling guy on the flight to Toronto ... we've all met such folk ... I worry that I might be him at times ... turned out to be a guy called Don from New York wh had just completed his masterwork.

I think that, deep down, we all write for someone else, even if it's only the Guardian's blogsphere inhabitants.. Supporting evidence? In the immortal words of one of the Bee Gees ... Barry ... I have a huge ego and a huge inferiority complex at the same time. 

Looking forward to the new book Alison.

A L Kennedy's web site here

 .

No comments:

Post a Comment