Pages

Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Completely Bonkers


I watched a bit of Andrew Marr’s interview with Tony Blair (broadcast on the BBC).  And there he was, flashing that Tony Blair smile, looking like a decent bloke who means well but saying this:

“How can you not feel sorry about people who have died?  You would be inhuman if you didn’t think that.  But when I’m asked whether I regret the decision … you know, I have to say I take responsibility for it but I can’t regret the decision.   And that’s because if I were to say that to you, I mean, I wouldn’t be saying what I think.  And .. you see … the thing about this issue is it’s still going on today.  There is not a single part of the Middle East that is not touched by exactly the same problem we have in Iraq and in Afghanistan today.  And my view is that the West has got to understand that this is a generation-long struggle.  And we’ve got to be in it!”

As he talks, smiling Tony disappears.  His features distort, a glint of something appears in his eyes.  As the tempo of his speech quickens and he pulls himself upright in his chair while his finger starts stabbing the air you think … fuck me, Tony Blair really was abducted by aliens and his body really has been taken over by whatever the fuck it was took possession of Linda Blair in The Exorcist.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment