Pages

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Me being a smart arse

I read the latest article by A L Kennedy in her series of monthly pieces in The Guardian.  My smart arse comment is below.  (I didn't know until I checked that Tennyson gave us "Nature, red in tooth an claw".  It's in his poem In Memoriam A H H)

Alfred, Lord Tennyson has a lot to answer for. In this instance it's his reference to "Nature, red in tooth and claw". That should scare the Bijesus out of any reclusive or patronised worker with imagination such as ALK.

I would encourage you to relax about those nocturnal noises. They are probably indications of possums caught (or catchable if one insists) in flagrante delicto. 

Nature's dangers are real but over-stated. I live in a country with more than 150,000 saltwater crocodiles, the largest of which can grow to 7 metres in length. Visiting a Queensland croc pen once, a croc keeper pointed out that more people in Australia are killed each year by vending machines than crocodiles. So, Ms K, unless there's a cigarette or a coke dispenser in your neck of the woods I think you can sleep safely in your idyllic-sounding bed and, more importantly for us readers, write.

No comments:

Post a Comment