Pages

Tuesday, December 02, 2014

Goal of the year

FIFA (boo, hiss ... love the game - scrap FIFA) has created a short list of three strikes to contend for their goal of 2014.  The award is known as the FIFA Puskas Award and the three nominated finalists can be seen here.  Like most folk, I imagine, I'd vote for James Rodriguez

Among the goals that made the long list is one by Tim Cahill against The Netherlands in the World Cup match at Porto Alegre on the 18th June.  Spike and I were in the crowd.  There was a moment, not so very long after this goal was scored, that Australia could have gone two up.  Had they done so me, Spike, Joe and Steph would have been required to alter our travel and accommodation plans (and bookings!!) for the four weeks that followed.  Sadly it was not meant to be.

Here's the best goal I saw in person in 2014.  Tim Cahill.