Pages

Friday, December 12, 2014

Million Dollar Arm

Million Dollar Arm
Serviceable sports movie ... if you can put up with the genre (I suspect most folk can't be bothered with it.  I take to it in much the same way as I order pizza for home delivery or buy packets of crisps when I go the movies.  I know I shouldn't but every now and then I do.  Formulaic but less fattening than pizza).

John Hamm is believable.  Alan Arkin steals the show (no mean feat when a large chunk of his screen time is spent sleeping).  Rinku, Dinesh and Amit played by Suraj Sharma, Madhur Mittal and Pitobah are compelling enough.  Their fish out of water trip to America is sort of balanced by John Hamm's fish out of water trip to India.  The scenes in what's purported to be the boys'  home village are quite engaging without tipping over into sentimentality. 

It's not great by any stretch of the imagination but if you find yourself with a need to watch something decent enough on a cold, rainy evening this'll do.