Pages

Friday, January 02, 2015

And today's word is ...

INDECISIVE


I'm back in Prufrock territory, specifically:

I grow old ... I grow old ...
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.

Shall I part my hair behind?   Do I dare to eat a peach?
I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach.
I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.

I do not think that they will sing to me.

I am completely incapable of making any decision today.  We all have them, do we not?  Days of indecision.

I refer to the smallest, most inane decisions, of course, rather than weighing in the balance the pros and cons of invading a small country or privatising a nation's steel industry regardless of the social and economic damage that ensues.  No, like Prufrock, I have been rendered immobile by small, comparatively inconsequential decisions.  On such a stiflingly hot day as today is it too late to drive to the supermarket at one 'clock when the temperature reaches 35?  But if I don't, what'll we have for dinner?  Should a new desk sit straight across a room or at an angle or not be placed at all in the room for which I thought it was intended.

Good God Douglas!  Give us peace man.

I am an irascible, hot, bothered and bothersome old man.  By and large decision-making is beyond me today.  I can't even work out who or what to blame for my predicament?

Oneself is probably the beginning and end of the search to answer that question.  Roll on tomorrow.