Pages

Friday, January 30, 2015

In The Guardian ... so it must be true

I submitted three of Spike's photos of our trips to games at the Asian Cup which were posted on the Guardian Witness web site here.  A journalist from The Guardian, Tom Stevens, wrote to me with questions about our experiences at the tournament.  I rushed off answers before jumping in the car last Friday to drive to Sydney for the Quarter Final and Semi Final games last weekend.  Never thought any more about it.

Iraq v Palestine, 21 January. Pic: Spike Deane
I received an e.mail from Tom earlier today with a link to his article in The Guardian today, here.  Spike's photos are republished and extracts from my answers to Tom's questions were turned into quotes for his article. 

Lifelong Guardian reader that I am, I couldn't be more chuffed to appear in its virtual pages.  And - ageing Leftie, as I am also - I'm very pleased that my references to the broadcasting deal struck by the Football Federation Australia were quoted ... almost as I wrote them.  Tom wrote,

"Another interesting point our readers have made hinges on the Australian TV coverage of the event, or lack of. Dougie suggests that Football Federation Australia sold its soul too cheaply by signing the rights to the group stages over to Foxtel. “FFA missed the opportunity to open the tournament up to casual viewers through free to air broadcasting. It might be a long time until Australia host a football tournament of similar stature, and rather than being ‘dazzled by cash’ FFA could have looked at this tournament as an opportunity of building a long term future for the game.”

Happy camper.  Off to the final tomorrow.