Pages

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Bedside Manner

Diffidence speaks less, perhaps,
of nurture than of nature; more
of how you did not learn enough
than of the skills they tried to teach
when you were younger, I suppose,
and called to what you called vocation:
your desire to help, perhaps to heal,
at least to hold out hope.  At least.

But time moves on regardless
through lives we give a name to
seeking purpose, or at least a role
to play, both for ourselves and others.

You are a nurse and I your patient.
You dress my wound but cannot share
your name or look me in the eye
from first hello to walking out's goodbye.

I was visited by a community nurse who came to inspect and dress the wound left by my abscess.  I've no idea who he was.  He meant well, I'm sure but he has a lot to learn about listening.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment