Pages

Thursday, July 15, 2010

My second short story in 6 weeks

I read in the NSW Writers' Centre weekly bulletin that the Adelaide Review has a short story competition that closes next week.  The judges are Brian Castro, J M Coetzee and Gail Jones.  So how much is that beyond the twilight zone?  I started to write this morning and was more or less finished by the end of the day.  The word limit is 2,500.  I just squeezed under it.  The story is called Windows.  I'll let it sit for a couple of days, edit it and submit the final version next week.  Here's how it starts:

Every morning, about three minutes past eight, one of those double-decked, super-sized Airbus jets passes before my eyes for a few seconds.  Climbing from right to left across the bedroom window, it reminds me of the world beyond.  There are people.  One is not alone.  I am not Legend.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment