Pages

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Stumbling in the dark

It's 4:49 am.  I've not yet been to bed and I don't imagine I will until this evening.  Last night our computer problem reappeared and we lost sight of the E drive with all kinds of useful (some even necessary) data files.  I've been searching (almost) aimlessly for a solution all night; uninstalling a suspect AVG update, replacing AVG with an anti-virus programme called Kaspersky, running the new software, finally getting checkdisk to run on the E drive ... sitting here, in front of the screen, watching the programmes run.  I knew there were just over 118,000 files on the E drive.  Now I know there are 50,000,000 free clusters that get checked (I've no idea what a cluster might be ... 0 / 1 pairings?  Maybe).  And I know there are almost 1,000,000 files on the PC in three drives: C, E and F.

Twenty minutes ago I took the risk of re-starting the computer.  That's been problematic for days now.  It has seldom re-booted.  This morning though it worked first time and when I checked windows explorer all the drives could be seen.  If I fixed the problem I have no idea how I managed it.  Luck, ignorance and stubbornness.  At least it's working ... for now.