Pages

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The things you say on Facebook ...

My friend Mike Donnelly posted this photo to Facebook, adding these words:

This is the man who taught me everything I know about throwing a spear ... a useful skill for a Glaswegian. He also led our sunrise tour of Uluru which did NOT include climbing it - lovely man, Wongha and his partner, Happy.

I added this comment:

I first leaned about throwing a spear next to my grannie's house in Rockbank Street just off the Gallowgate. I was seven. There were two groups of what might be called alienated youth these days, advancing towards one another. Me and my wee brother had somehow managed to get between the opposing sides. They advanced towards each other. Sharp implements were drawn. At least one spear was thrown. We scampered up a close. We did not tell my grannie who would have skelpt ma ear for endangering my brother's life. I kid you not. Bridgeton in the sixties. Spears.
 
True story.