Pages

Saturday, January 30, 2016

Letter to Clive

Photograph of Jeremy Corbyn
This week's soft target of the usually more witty Clive James
Clive James writes a weekly column in The Guardian.  In today's edition he's having a patronising dig at Jeremy Corbyn, leader of the British Labour Party, and a less than subtle go at Mr. Corbyn's support for a policy of not replacing the UK's so-called independent nuclear deterrent - Trident.

Clive writes, 
I admire the way [Jeremy Corbyn's] principles are uninhibited by reason. I also like his beard, which reminds me of one of the beards I grew at various times in my life when I wished to prove I was still a student, even though the years had passed. Corbyn is a student at heart.
I couldn't resist a response. It's here. 
Dear Clive, 
I know you strive to be witty and for that you have our respect. But (as you know) the Trident thing is not about beards or eyes glittering with goodness. 
Field Marshall the Lord Bramall KG GCB OBE MC, former chief of the defence staff, is, as far as one can tell, clean-shaven AND opposed to the Trident nuclear missile system, writing "our independent deterrent has become virtually irrelevant, except in the context of domestic politics." 
And General the Lord Ramsbotham GCB CBE, former Adjutant General, former ADC to Her Majesty the Queen is, like Lord Bramall, clean-shaven and, like both Lord Bramall and Jeremy Corbyn, opposed to the Trident nuclear missile system. Lord Ramsbotham wrote, 
"We don't own the missiles and it is absolutely unthinkable that we should ever consider using it or threatening to use it without having the clearance of the United States". 
"The fact is that Trident is an inappropriate weapons system. You can't see Trident being used against something like nuclear blackmail by international terrorism. It is a cold war weapon. It is not a weapon for the situation where we are now." 
Two more points, if I may. 
Having a dig at the Daily Mail version of Mr. Corbyn is beneath a man of your intelligence and wit. Sinking to the Mail's level belittles you. 
And it's my confident guess you are being disingenuous when you suggest you were nicer when a student than you are now. I'll bet my house on it that your peers would beg to differ, even those who liked and admired you. 
You can join CND here http://www.cnduk.org Beards are not compulsory.
I'm very glad to see my remarks have produced some quite agitated responses from Tories. Who knew they trawled The Guardian looking for Lefties to abuse? I would have thought that's about as difficult as shooting fish in a barrel.