Pages

Friday, January 29, 2016

Writing exercises from Week 2 of my MOOC

Image result for open universityEmma said that ...
Time was running out. The ship would sail from Southampton on Tuesday morning. She was sure Cranston would be on board. He was losing his nerve and since the incident with the Chinese magician it was clear he trusted no one. We do it now or we're all in for a very long sea voyage.
I remember ...
I remember the look on her face. But that’s it. Nothing else.
I know we spoke. Of course I do. I'm the one that told her Brian had been in an accident. In the car. On the way to work.
Did I mention the fire? I don't remember the exact words ... my words. But I must have mentioned the fire because her face ... well, it just changed ... became something I've never seen before. It started with her eyes, you know? As if a veil had been lifted and it was all right there in front of her ... not me ... but the car, Brian, the flames. Directly in front of her eyes. 
I shouldn't have mentioned the fire. 
"Carol ... Brian's been in an accident. It's serious and he's in the hospital. I've come to take you." That's what I should have said. 
But I don't remember. I must have said 'fire' ...
'Emma said that' & 'I remember' are both really good ways to have started these two exercises. I don't think I'd have come up with either of my scenarios without such prompts and the ... 'just do it' ... approach to completing a sentence then seeing where that leads.

I didn't know there was someone by the name of Cranston inside me who would become nervous after whatever happened to the Chinese magician! Eh? Where did that come from? Well, it seems 'Emma said it' so it must be true. And the same sort of vital spark of story-telling started the piece below. Same thing as 'Emma'. 'I remember' ... who knew?