Pages

Friday, February 26, 2016

Even I'm beginning to feel a little nervous

The Donald ... Sorry, I meant Freddy
I may be letting my worst fears cloud my judgement. I still hold to the view that Trump will crash and burn but this nightmarish thought came when I was in the shower this Australian morning ...

What if?

What if a runaway train is crashing through the Republican Party? What if they don't know how to stop it? Maybe the GOP establishment will try to minimise the train wreck by doing deals. Trump goes on to win the nomination. Marco holds back on outright criticism of the presumptive nominee and lets Cruz - who seems to hate everyone except Ted Cruz - be the loser attack dog.

Trump, Rubio and the GOP establishment cut a deal. Rubio is selected as the VP candidate on a ticket with Trump. GOP brokers this deal because it can't stop Trump but thinks this would minimise harm and give it a chance of beating the Democrats. Rubio accepts the deal because - if they were to win - he think his 'Apprentice' years make him unbeatable as Presidential candidate in the future. Trump accepts the deal because it solves his 'Hispanics problem', means he could pass all the day to day grind of politics to his side-kick Marco , and he gets to drive around in the big Presidential limo being Mr. President - not building walls, not banning Muslims - just being a motor mouth constrained by the realities of governing in the real world.

As I said. One's nightmare.

No comments:

Post a Comment