Pages

Saturday, February 20, 2016

To the Ring of Brodgar

Ring of Brodgar

We spent weeks in December/January trying to figure out how we could get me and my wheelchair from Glasgow to Stornoway in the Western Isles when we visit Scotland in June. I was beginning to give up hope but said to Spike this morning I would get back on to finding solutions this week coming. Spike said, 'ok but we could try Orkney too'. 

Skara Brae
This evening I started searching the web for information about Orkney. I wrote 4 e.mails to not very promising-looking hotels. Within an hour three indicated they have rooms with easy access showers. Checked train times between Glasgow and Aberdeen. Checked ferry times between Aberdeen and Kirkwall. Began to find evidence of wheelchair accessible buses and taxis on the main island. Less than three hours after starting our search it looks as if we have a week on the Orkney Islands more or less established. I'm a very happy man and these are just a couple of the Neolithic sites we shall now visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment