Pages

Saturday, August 22, 2009

A reversal of fortune

SO ... I lost my mobile phone somewhere in the Red Rattler; confirmed at the bus stop that we'd missed the last wheelchair accessible bus of the night back to the city (last bus of any type, come to think of it); couldn't remember the first four digits of the wheelchair taxi booking service; couldn't get the phone number from directory inquiries; couldn't book a wheelchair cab through the voice-recognition system; headed-off in not quite the right direction in what might have been a naive attempt to push home then the solid tyre of my front wheel came off the wheel entirely! Perched with one front wheel up on a drain cover while Spike worked hard without tools to re-fit the tyre I thought ... this is an unexpected end to an otherwise enjoyable evening (except that may not have been quite how I ran over the words in my mind!!)

Events turned for the better though, quite suddenly. Spike got the tyre back on. We were able to book a wheelchair taxi directly through one of the co-ops and miraculously when I asked Spike to call my mobile phone someone at the bar answered the call. It had been found / handed in as the staff cleared away the debris of a good night. Spike ran back to the club. A taxi came. The driver loaded me then we went off in search of Spike. We were home fifteen minutes later and in bed by 3:00 a.m.

Not surprisingly, our Saturday started late and has progressed at a sedate pace. Spike has made earrings to sell next week and a cake to be eaten immediately. I looked at the papers I need to read for a submission I have to write by Monday but decided work can wait. Tea, cake and a good read of the online newspapers is about as much as I'm any good for.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment