Pages

Friday, August 28, 2009

Settlement

So, the flat became mine today at Noon. At least the mortgage became mine, which is not quite the same thing. I'll be working until I'm 82 to pay it off!! Does that mean I'm not allowed to die before then? Even then I'm sure that banks have worked out ways to keep sucking the blood right out of you. But what a funny old day it's been (by which I mean peculiar as opposed to comical).

I took on a debt of something close to half a million. I visited the bank to personally authorise the transfer of 25K from my bank account ... as if I actually had $25,0000 ... to my layer's account. I activated a new credit card ... as if I really need another one of those! Still, once the transfers are completed I ought to be able to ditch the Amex thank God. Withdrew some cash for me to spend and here we suddenly are returned to the real world: 250 bucks and most of that will go on food and travel.

And, of course, there's the whole back-story that makes all this wheeling and dealing necessary. That's the serious part of all this to-ing and fro-ing ... 4 banks, two mortgages, lawyers, mortgage broker, credit cards, loans, binding agreements, deadlines, settlement. Shit is what amounts to. Not my finest hour and not the best day of my life.

There is always Scarlett O'hara, of course or the irrepressible Suggs and the boys in Madness. Take you pick Dougie. Either way, the sun comes up.

No comments:

Post a Comment