Pages

Monday, March 08, 2010

Dreams Of Speaking

I finished my first read of Dreams Of Speaking today (the first set text of my Australian Literature course at Sydney University).   It's a compelling take on modernity.  There are one or two spots where it teeters on the precipice of being too contrived ... the assault in the Metro witnessed by Alice and a Haulacost sorvivor, the whole "nuance" / ""Eternity" thing, the co-incidence of Alice and Mr Sakamoto's interests, some others ... but the novel lets you hold on to the suspension of disbelief.  And it does draw you in, particularly if you've a liking for theoretical discourse.  Except it's never that dry.  It's a story about two people who meet on a train.  Worth reading once and certainly readable again (as I must for my course).

Next, it's Virgil.  That'll be a riot.

No comments:

Post a Comment