Pages

Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Aida

We spent the evening at the Opera House in the company of assorted Egyptians and Ethopians, Pharoh, Kings, Princes, Princesses, Holy men, assorted soldiers, slaves and spirits of the underworld. I enjoyed the whole affair (once it made it past the shaky start). Spike liked the set and costumes and not much else, which is something of a drawback when attending a three-hour opera in four acts.

I particularly enjoyed Act 2, Scene 2 (but who doesn't?). Listening to ... maybe even feeling ... the wall of sound that hits you near the end of the scene it was hard not to think that Verdi had the idea ... wall of sound ... long before Phil Spector. The final scene of last night's production (the underworld) was rather moving; quite affecting in some ways. I'm not quite sure why Amneris ends the opera alone, unloved. She seems to be not bad enough to suffer so I guess I'm missing something Verdi saw. Not to worry. It's not the first opera plot-line to puzzle me and it won't be the last (although that may not be true for Spike who is, I think, over my interest in improbable people singing in an overly formal manner to music from a long time ago about galaxies far, far away).

The clip below is clearly NOT from the Sydney Opera House. Last night's dancing was enjoyable. The footwork we see here is frankly ridiculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment