Pages

Friday, July 17, 2009

Harry Potter 6

I quite enjoyed this latest installment of J K Rowling's adventure through adolescence. I've not read the books, deciding long ago that there are too many other unread books that I want to reach first, although I'm pretty sure that if I'd been a ten year old when the series started I would have devoured them. That means I'm not an anorak when it comes to the HP movies. I'm not looking for truth to the original text or lamenting what's missing on done differently (the unhappy event, for example, as it's wittily referred to by Simon Mayo and Mark Kermode on their unparalleled BBC Radio Five weekly review of movies).

I enjoyed the humour of the first hour. The opening sequence is exhilarating and there is real menace in the attack on the Weasley home. If the unhappy event takes the movie to a downbeat, unsatisfactory conclusion, which it does, it seems a little churlish to remark that the true import of that tragic moment is less than wholly successfully realised. If I could suggest how it could have been realised more effectively I'd be at the heart of the production team rather than tapping away at my blog, which virtually no one reads.

Anyway, HP 6 is worth watching. I was / am particularly impressed by the way in which the four leading teenage actors have matured and developed over the years. Whoever chose the four, all those years ago, chose well. Five young actors, now I think of it. I do like Luna.

No comments:

Post a Comment