Pages

Friday, July 03, 2009

End of story

A call from the DG's office brought an anti-climactic end to my relocation. I drove into town to pick up a letter he wanted me to receive "urgently". It contained written confirmation that after more than three months and an investigation costing tens of thousands of dollars the DG has formed the opinion there was no misconduct. I've had my office key and building swipe returned to me. I go back to my desk on Monday.

What was the point of it all, I wonder?

Spike and I attended the launch of the Glebe Art Show in the evening. It was a smug, self-satisfied but badly organised affair. (God save us all from the acquisitive middle-classes.) Most of the art was decent enough; technically competent but it did lack something in the way of heart and originality. A few pieces were better than decent but they were the exception.

I had to enter by a rear door because the level access to the library was locked. And - hard to believe - perhaps as many as 30 or so of the 240 works were upstairs in a building with no lift. The Lord Mayor of Sydney, Clover Moore, opened the event so she gets my testy letter. Verity Firth, Minister for Education and local MP, came over to chat. Good person. I like her.

A former colleague from my PDCN days, Craig Andrews, was there too. He had a couple of Fauvist pieces on show. It's great that he's painting. I hope they sell.

No comments:

Post a Comment